Wednesday, April 18, 2007

"You have candy for us?"

On wednesday and friday mornings I meet with Mallam Garba for Hausa class. My car has been in the shop this week so this morning I got a ride to work, and then walked the rest of the way to a compound where we meet. As I walked down the dirt road, I waved to the guards with the familiar morning greetings "Sannu, Ina Kwana?" The road was quiet, except you know that feeling you get when it seems you are being followed? I turned around only to see "my children," those beautiful kids that live on the Spring of Life compound, were following me. They walked with me all the way to Hausa class. Along the way they asked the usual question, "you have candy for us?" I have become popular because I always have sweeties for them. Okay I admit they are spoiled rotten. I just love them so much I can't help it. They waited outside while I was in Hausa, and followed me back to work when I was finished. Ususally when I am at work they run around outside our office, and then call my name through the window. At the moment, they are on break from school, so of course are always around. They are the bright spot in my day and bring me such joy; my children! I can't imagine going back to America and not seeing their precious faces every day. I will worry about that when the day comes. For now, I am loving every minute of it........

No comments: