Monday, October 02, 2006

Class of 1996

Me with two old high school friends, Lindsay (left) and Sherry, at our ten year reunion

Even though the last three weeks have been difficult with sickness and surgery, my heart is content and at peace. One of the confirmations of this trip home is that God allowed me to attend my ten year high school reunion last friday. I love Nigeria but there was still some part of me that wanted to go back to the year 1996 and remember the good old days of Homecoming dances, pep rallies, football games and hot lunches. I had a great time and really enjoyed seeing old friends and sharing the good news of God with classmates. At the reunion I was handed a letter I wrote to myself on May 22nd, 1996 during my senior year in Sociology class. The question was "where do you see yourself in ten years?" Somehow I didn't remember the assignment and it came as a bit of a surprise, but was so affirming and encouraging to my heart. Below are a few excerpts from my letter.

Dear Susan,
"I hope to be a pediatric nurse at a hospital somewhere. I really want to nurse little children back to health...."
"I am not sure what God has in store for me, so right now my future is unclear...."
"I also would like to go to another country and work at an orphange with little children...."
"I have hope that we will eventually find a cure for the deadly virus called
AIDS...."
Did I actually write that? Who was that seventeen year old girl? Despite my inadequacies, failures, weaknesses and sin nature, God is perfect. Nothing could thwart the plans He laid out for me. Even though there have been many bumps in the road I have traveled, God has used every obstacle and valley for my good to accomplish His purposes in me. I stand amazed at where God has brought me and how He implanted those desires deep in my heart long ago. He knew His plans for me would be fulfilled by His power and glory. God is the author and wrote the story of my life before the foundations of the earth. What am I doing today? I am a nurse working with children and adults living with HIV/AIDS in Nigeria. I also work with street children and orphans at a care center in the city of Jos.
I can't help but think of Jeremiah 29:11 which says, "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
My trip home was worth it to get this letter and reflect on God's faithfulness and Sovereignty in my life these last ten years.

No comments: