Monday, December 18, 2006

Buying Vegetables

So today I went to the market and bought a handful of tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers and carrots. I only paid $2.00 for all of it. It amazes me. The big thing here is to bargain for everything. Nigerians almost take offense if you don't bargain for things. So I stand there and after picking out what I want the game starts. First I ask, "Nawa, or how much?" Then they give me a price and I ask them to reduce the price for me. Then after waiting for them to reduce, I look around and pretend like I am not going to buy. They will soon give me the lower price and I say, "what is your last price?" Then I take the lower price. It's actually fun. You can't go anywhere here without bargaining. It's part of life, and you get used to it. Although sometimes I struggle with it and think how little I really am paying for most of these things, and it causes me to be thankful, really thankful.

No comments: