Saturday, May 26, 2007

Mount Zion is not far away.....

I have been getting to know Ladi's younger sister Ruth this last year. I am not sure if she knows Jesus, but I had a neat opportunity to share with her last week. She has been in an abusive relationship for a long time now. She moved back to her family house last week, and said she has gotten out of the relationship. During our visit, as I looked at her badly beaten face, she had a big gash on the left cheek bone and swollen lip as well as puffy eyes. She looked so tired and ashamed. We got there by 10:30 am and she was still sleeping. She could barely get out of bed. We began to share about Jesus with her, and she has made the first step by leaving. I shared with her how she can make a choice to get out of this relationship, that with Jesus she can have a new start. I am proud of her for moving back home, and know if she trusts in God, he can deliver her out of this darkness. She can be set free from the prison she is living in. For a brief moment when I looked at her from the side, I thought I was seeing Ladi.....it caught me by surprise and was as if Ladi was sitting right next to me. I paused for a minute, then I told Ruth how before her big sister died, she knew Jesus. I said to Ruth in tears, "Before Ladi died, she knew Jesus in her heart... you can know Jesus too!" It was one of those moments I will never forget. I felt such joy as I remembered Ladi's transformation those last days of her life. Despite the desperation of Ruth's plight, I was filled with an amazing peace as I felt God saying to hang on and continue sharing the hope of Christ with her. As I talked she kept her head down, but at one point in the conversation she looked up at me with tears in her eyes. That was the first time I had ever seen her cry. Until now she has been untouchable, never had a problem, everything was always fine and she never needed anything from anyone. What was happening to Ruth? God was breaking her down slowly, the ice was melting and he was softening her heart. After we talked and cried, Ruth was very quiet. She was really contemplating everything and I could tell God was working on her. I knew she would need time to think about all the things we shared with her. It takes time for people to break free from bondage.

She said she had been having trouble seeing since the incident, so I asked her to come and see the eye doctor on friday. The picture above is the following monday after seeing the doctor. When I walked to the front door of work, there she was sitting on the bench with a huge smile on her face. She looked ten times better, the scars fading from her face. It was like she was a different person. I couldn't remember the last time I had seen her smile. She greeted me warmly and we had a great chat. The big issue Ruth must face now is that of having no money. She doesn't have a job, and needs to learn some skills so she can take care of herself. Her boyfriend was paying for everything, and she didn't need to have a job before. Please pray for Ruth this week. I am going to take her to a ministry that teaches women how to sew and I pray she agrees. God can provide for all her needs, but she need to also learn how to take responsibility for her own life.

I am so excited words cannot explain.......to see Ruth breaking free is amazing. I pray she too accepts the free gift that is offerred to her. The gift of Jesus Christ.

Psalm 126:1 says it all

"When the Lord brought back the captives to Zion, we were like men who dreamed (men restored to health)!" May Ruth's song ever be that Jesus set her free and restored her life.

Mount Zion is not far away, God did it for Ladi and he will do it for Ruth......

No comments: