Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Thankful today

Today I had a training program with the workers in the PEPFAR program and we discussed ARV's, how and when to give, and how to encourage adherence to therapy. We also talked about nutrition and how important it is for clients on ARV's to eat a balanced diet. After saying this, one of the counselors laughed. He procedeed to say how the statement made him laugh because many of his clients are going hungry, and have a hard enough time getting food for one meal a day. Then a few others jumped in with the same complaint that their clients are going hungry. The truth is that a large percentage of Nigerians are living under a $1.00 a day. They mentioned when they go on their visits and see the living conditions and the lack of food, they are moved to compassion, and give out of their own pockets to someone with a greater need. That is the gospel in action.

"I will never know what it means to be starving" I told them. I was speechless. What could I say that would not sound cliche or patronizing? I can never fully understand there plight. Even the hospital workers who sat in front of me who have good jobs compared to most Nigerians, are also struggling to find food to support their families. As an American with a nice car, nice place to live and money for anything I want, I cannot relate to their struggle. At that very moment I felt guilty for never having known what it feels like to be hungry; to not know where the next meal will come from. Why was I born in America and not in Africa? I didn't choose this life, and neither did they.

These are just some things I have been thinking about lately. You can't face poverty and not be affected by it somehow. I don't have an answer to the big issue of poverty, but I do know that I need to praise and thank God for all the resources I have been given. Then I need to turn around and give away what he has given me to bless someone else. None of it belongs to me anyway, for all that I have is the Lord's.

Some things I am thankful for today:

1. Clean water-many of the clients I see every day struggle to have clean water for drinking and cooking. Most children die of diarrhea due to lack of clean drinking water. I have a filter and easy access to clean water every day. All I have to do is turn on the faucet and water pours out.
2. Food-many Nigerian's struggle to eat one meal a day. I am able to eat three meals a day and can afford things like Chicken and rice which are very expensive here.
3. A nice car-Most Nigerian's don't have a car, and either take a taxi or a motor bike for transportation. Many of them have to trek (walk) far distances. My car takes me wherever I need to go in a short amount of time.
4. Electricity-my Hausa teacher told me they have had problems with scarce electricity for over four months. Electricity is bad here and without a generator, most people live in the dark after the sun goes down. They use candles for light. I have battery lights in my house so when the electricity is off, I turn on the lights and can see well.
5. Medicine-60% of Subsahara Africa doesn't have access to health care. Clients come to me daily and say they can't afford the medicine that has been prescribed for their sickness. When I am sick all I have to do is go to my drug cabinet and take medicine, or go to the doctor and they will prescribe something for me and I can afford to pay for the treatment.

Today I am thankful for these things I have always taken for granted......

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hi,Susan,

I find your posts to be spiritually challenging and major reality checks for me. Keep them coming.

Today's post makes me thankful for my very varied diet and abundance of food, as well as the abundance of medical care. One of your last posts made me thankful for clean water and all my bottled water!

Most of all I am thankful for our gracious and loving Saviour who has given us all things richly to enjoy....including Himself.

Julie