Tuesday, June 12, 2007

A moment with a Leper

"A man with Leprosy came to him and begged him on his knees, "If you are willing, you can make me clean." Filled with compassion, Jesus reached out his hand and touched the man, "I am willing," he said. "Be Clean!" Immediately the leprosy left him and he was cured." Last week Kara and I went to Blindtown, an outreach to Muslims where many people are suffering from Leprosy and blindness. We gave much needed drugs to those who are unable to come to the hospital for care. This woman had Leprosy in her hands, feet and eyes. This disease eats away at the nerves and results in numbess of the affected parts. Often times when those with Leprosy bump themselves or trip on something, they don't realize they have an infection in the leg or foot because their body doesn't register pain. It severely affects their mobility and quality of life.

She is considered an outcast and yet had an amazing smile and warmth about her. When we entered her one room house, I greeted her in Hausa, "Sannu mama, ina yuni, ya ya gida, ya ya jiki?" I immediately put out my hand to shake hers. She smiled and slowly placed her right stubby hand into mine. Because of the Leprosy she was missing all fingers on both hands. I wonder what she thought at that very moment? not many people are willing to touch a Leper for fear they will too get it. Even though it is a contagious disease, one must spend a significant amount of time in close quarters with a person with active disease to actually contract it. Most of the people here have been suffering with Leprosy for many years.

We saw another man with Leprosy who struggled to crawl up a large set of cement stairs into the room where we were giving medicine and taking blood pressures. I offerred to help him up the stairs which is considered culturally innapropriate. It is not acceptable to touch a Muslim man unless for example he offers his hand out to you first. I guess that was one time I was not following the cultural norm. I felt so humbled and helpless when he refused my help, but I understood and realized afterwards it was not the best idea. But God's love is so much bigger than cultural standards, bigger than gender and any kind of sickness. His love covers us all, even the most unclean. There is not pit where his love is not deeper still.

During those short moments with these precious people, I was reminded of Jesus. I smiled as I thought about how he healed the man with Leprosy, and how much love he had for him. I pray that our example of Jesus' love will show them the healing power of Jesus to save and to make them clean again. I pray they will know him as Savior someday!



1 comment:

Ola said...

May I please get in torch with you Susan as I am planning to go to Nigeria with my friend for an outreach to some leprous people near Benin, Edo State.
My email addy is obes2002@yahoo.com

Thanks