Saturday, July 07, 2007

2 days.....

2. One of the best parts of my job was working with the children! Words can hardly describe what a joy it was to teach women how to feed their babies well, and to give them grains which helped to sustain their lives. Each of the babies you see below at one time was very sickly but now are each looking amazing. I bask in their improvements and cling to the hope they have brought in the midst of despair. Being able to help these kids has kept me going and spurred me on in this work. Shaibu has made the most dramatic recovery from a mere 7 pounds at 10 months old. Now he is over one and walking. His weight is normal and he is thriving, but a bit feisty and wants no-one other than grandma!!
Abigail has also improved so much. She is looking much healthier and the rash that once covered most of her body is gone.
WE are unsure if Gift is HIV positive, her twin sister died a few months ago, and her mother was HIV positive. At first she was small and a bit sickly, but now growing and so adorable. Her aunty is taking care of her along with her other 5 children.
Shamma is another one of our miracles. Sad to say his mother died just over a month ago. Her battle with AIDS was finally over.

James is my favorite baby, but don't tell anyone. He is my little precious one!! I will miss him the most of all the kids.....He has gained so much weight and if his belly sticks out anymore he will fall over! It makes me so happy.
Isa is a mystery. He once tested positive and started on drugs, but after doing an additional test last week, he has tested negative. We are floored but so encouraged by his status now. I will never forget the day I went to see him at home and was able to tell his grandmother that he was free of the virus, what a joy it was!!




No comments: