Tuesday, July 17, 2007

A world away....

I officially left Nigeria last monday, and attempted to blog before then but had no nepa for nearly two days prior and the internet was down, hence the late entry. I arrived safely in Scotland last tuesday and have had an amazing time of refreshment and plenty of high adventure as well. Between climbing to the top of the Wallace Monument (named after Sir William Wallace-if you have no idea who he is just watch Braveheart), squishing my toes on the beach at St. Andrews (the Mecca of golf), roaming the streets of Edinburgh, visiting Stirling Castle, visting many friends from Nigeria (Fiona, Todd's, Ward's, Kate and Julie), eating fish and chips and much more, I have been busy and am loving every minute of being here. I have also enjoyed fresh fruit, real milk, nice cheese, hot showers, tap water and walking around with clean feet. Nigeria seems like a world away and it feels as if my departure was years ago. How strange this transition has been for me. How difficult it was to pack up my life there in two suitcases and say goodbye to precious friends. I miss my life there already, but am trustng God's plan for me is bigger than the plan I have for myself.

Despite tasting Starbucks, pastries, ice cream, nice chocolate and other material things here, they don't compare to the life of ministering to AIDS patients and helping the sick, the suffering and the poor of Nigeria. The truth is I am changed, and life will never be the same for me because I have seen the face of AIDS. I can never turn my back from that brutal reality. I can not just go through life the way it was before without thinking of Shaibu, James, Abigail, Shamma and many more people I worked with in Jos who are living with HIV. I can't do it and I don't want to. May God help me as I leave for America tomorrow and transition back into life on the other side of the world. That world awaits me with a harvest of people who need to hear about Jesus. May I be found faithful in sharing the truth with them.

I leave tomorrow morning for Charlotte and will spend thursday and also friday morning debriefing with my missionary family from SIM, then on home to Chicago friday afternoon. Thanks for those of you who have stood by me, supported me and prayed for me during my journey in Nigeria. You are all such a blessing to me. Hope to see many of you soon!!!

2 comments:

Sara said...

Thanks for posting while you are on vacation. It is good to know that you are having such a refreashing time. Please continue to blog while you are in the US! I'll talk to you when you are settled. love ya!

Lisa Voth said...

Hey Susan,
it's been so encouraging to read your blog. I would love to get together with you when you have been settled in for a good long while. (:
Maybe I'll see you at church...(p.s. this is Lisa Voth, in case you know other Lisas).