Monday, July 23, 2007

Number 1......

Many of you have asked me what has been my number "1" amazing experience in Nigeria. Sorry I left you in suspense for a while. Here it is!!! As I think about my time in Nigeria, no experience made more of an impact on my life than being involved with the Musa family. As I look at this picture of three generations in their family, my heart is sad. Why you ask? because two of those generations have died (Ladi and her mother) and left orphans to face this cold, dark world alone..... Kyauta, Ladi and Rebekah on Christmas Eve, 2005 (granddaughter, mother and grandmother).

I remember that day like it was yesterday. Erin and I had an amazing time of encouragement with them, and walked away so blessed. Little did we know that Rebekah would deteriorate rapidly those next few days and pass away by January. The next days and weeks after Rebekah and Ladi's deaths were extremely painful. It took a long time to recover from their losses. I marvel in the fact that Rebekah was a believer and Ladi came to know Jesus just weeks before her death. Ladi's legacy lives on and has made a significant impact on my life. I will never forget those moments when I heard her singing and praising God as she lay dying in the hospital. I earnestly pray now her sister Ruth who is also living with HIV, experiences the same undeniable joy and supernatural power of the living God in her life. Ruth remains in bondage to her sin and is walking in the darkness of drugs and alcohol and stuck in a bad relationship. I know Jesus can set her free. Anyone who is set free shall be free indeed! Please pray along with me for Ruth. God's heart breaks for her to know HIM.

Ruth, Ladi's other sister and Mercy.

Ruth is single and has no children. We are still praying for her to come to know Jesus as her Savior. Mercy has proclaimed to know Jesus.

Mercy and her baby Rebekah named after their late mother. Becky died at the tender age of sixth months of unknown causes.


Ladi and me when she was very sick in the hospital

Ladi and the kids at their family house several months before she died.

John is Ladi's younger brother and is also an orphan, besides losing his mother Rebekah in January 2006, his father also died several years ago. Ladi left two children, Jerry and Kyauta. It has been a joy to help these kids. Kids in Africa are so used to death, it is a daily way of life for them and they aren't allowed to grieve or deal well emotionally with death. As orphans, they were left to fend for themselves, and forced to grow up way before their time.













No comments: