Wednesday, July 04, 2007

5 days.....

".....to bestow on them a crown of beauty instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of morning, and a garment of praise instead of a spirit of despair!"

Every day I work with women who are used and abused, mistreated, disrespected, and taken advantage of by men. Whether it's a married woman with a husband has several wives or a young single woman whose boyfriend is pretending to be a Godly man while living a double life, women in Nigeria are suffering. They have no voice. Last month I hosted a women's forum where a speaker encouraged us to find our indentity in Christ alone and not identify ourselves by the man next to us. Mostly Nigerian women attended, and I am so thankful God is using that time in teaching women to respect themselves and learn how to accept God's love for them. Tonight I spent my holiday hosting Part 2 of our women's forum. Just under 20 women came and our spirit's were again uplifted by reading about "beauty for ashes" from Isaiah 61. The same speaker Fume exhorted us to recognize our ashes and take them to God. To lift those ashes of grief, sorrow, dissapointments and suffering from the way we as women are looked at in society, and to stand confidently in Christ!

For myself I realize the way I have felt as a woman here is not the way God sees me. Every single time I walk anywhere men are yelling at me that they want to marry me, or they stare and make comments. It's been hard dealing with this issue, and I still don't know how to reconcile it. I came away tonight feeling blessed and being reminded again that I am in CHRIST, and that He takes great delight in me!

5. It has been an amazing challenge working with women who are used to being rejected and cast aside. It pains me to see their oppression and the darkness they live in. I love encouraging young women and helping them to see how much God loves them. They need to be empowered to say no to abuse, and stand firm in their relationship with God. He will turn their sorrow into dancing, and wipe away their stains of shame and give them pure white gowns to wear!

No comments: